Thursday, March 13, 2014

March 12

The doctor wanted Karen to try only using the feeding tube at night.  To do that she needed to wake up every two hours and increase the feed rate slightly and then see how she reacted.  Unfortunately in the wee hours of the morning she started having stomach pains.  We stopped the feed tube and waited to see if the pain subsided which it did.  It had me a little worried because the doctors tell us to watch out for sudden pains that don't go away since it is a sign of a bowel obstruction or worse.  Needless to say it made for an interesting night/morning.

Karen returned her chemo pump and thankfully didn't need the immune booster shot.  That one shot would have cost $4000 and according to the nurses there is a place that charges four times that.  When I asked why it was so much they said it replaced 10 shots over 10 days.

Becca is still doing good and is now on a mix of formula and human milk.  Both of us were able to hold her for a little bit.  She did slow her breathing down a lot while we were visiting.  Caffeine is used to help early babies remember to breath.


2 comments:

  1. I just can't get over how cute she is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a little doll - a baby doll for sure. I think about you every day and today I was at Megan's and she caught me up on the latest. I know this must be so difficult. I still remember the day you and I picked that little tree in the garden clean of fruit. That was special for me. Love you

    ReplyDelete