Tuesday, March 25, 2014

March 24

Karen's port was placed without much trouble.  While she was having it put in, she had me grab a few things we forgot at the apartment.  Right after that we met with the doctor who said they will be using one more drug for the next chemo session in two weeks.  They might have been able to include it this week if the port had been in place earlier.  One of the drug's side effects is that the body takes longer to heal from cuts so they decided not to inflict additional discomfort on her this time around.

She finished up in the chemo chair around 2:00 after which we went over to visit Becca for a few minutes.  We didn't hold her but just sat by her crib and watched her sleep.  It amazes me to see her doing so well.  After we left Karen managed to fall asleep before we got back to the apartment.


I went back to work for a few hours and when I got back Karen didn't even flinch from sleeping when I came through the door.  The chemo treatments really take the energy out of her.  The good thing is she says this time around she didn't feel quite as tired as before.  That is not how it normally works but with her being so malnourished prior to starting treatments she has almost no where to go but up.

Karen's brother Phil sent a few pictures of James playing around.  Based on the pictures he is having a good time.  I am getting more than a little impatient to see him again on Wednesday.  We are planning to have a small birthday party for him and are happy to have him there on his birthday.



Karen somehow managed to summon the energy to visit Becca in the evening.  For the first time Becca had a dirty diaper when I changed her.  I can now say I have changed more of Becca's dirty diapers than Karen.  That won't last long so I'll enjoy my lead while I can.  I have nowhere to go but down from here.


Braden

2 comments:

  1. I am so in love with the things that are happening for you. There is a peace to your posts even when things are tumultuous. I love to see that James is growing and adapting to different situations. The day when he gets to be 'home' for real will be good and I know that for now the Lord has a hand in his life as well as yours. Becca is such an amazing trooper! I know the angels are watching over her and keeping her. Know that my prayers are with you all! May God continue to watch over you now and forever!

    ReplyDelete