Monday, January 25, 2016

A Different Post

This post is a little different than the ones I normally do.  Normally I write about Karen, the kids or a project that I am working on for the family.  Today I am going to tell you a little bit about me.

Six years ago I weighed in at 275 lbs.  I was out of shape, stressed and headed for an early grave.  Today I am 197 lbs.  Lately I have been getting asked questions by friends and coworkers what my secret is.  I had started off by saying diet and exercise but that's not really the secret.  It was the answer I would give off the top of my head without really thinking about it.  I thought about it and then started saying motivation but that wasn't right either.

Braden and Karen - Thanksgiving 2009

Today on the treadmill I had some time to think.  Lately I have been staying away from the treadmill due to some feet problems but today all of my substitutes were taken.  In a way I am grateful for that time I had to think.  The conclusion I came to after 30 minutes on the treadmill is that the secret is patience (if you have ever spent 30 minutes on a treadmill you know it takes patience).  Patience with myself, with results, with life and challenges.  Success with most anything in life is not determined immediately, it takes a lot of time and effort.

Karen and Braden - January 2016

It wasn't one change that helped me out of my rut and on the road to being alive to take care of James and Rebecca kids after Karen is gone.  It was having the patience for a lot of little things to add up to big results.  Changes made over the span of weeks, months and years.  Eating better foods, not necessarily less food (though that helps) just more of better foods (that's how I try to think about it though I don't always succeed).  Getting out and exercising regularly.  Being willing to try something new (helps avoid boredom) for a while and see how it works and being willing to roll with it if it doesn't.  Everyone is different so figure out what does or doesn't work for you.  Not trying too many new things all at once.  Let a big change devlop into a habit before adding something new.  Starting slow and easing into a new routine.  Make corrections quickly if you get off track.  Getting to bed on time.  Finding ways to reduce stress or use it to help me out.  Pushing my limits and not being afraid of a little soreness.  Being grateful for what I have.  Living in the moment, but not at the expense of the future.  Taking time to spend with family and friends.  Setting long term and short term goals and then measuring them regularly.  Having faith that things will work out for the best if you keep trying.  That's not even the entire list, but it's getting late.

What it comes down to is that I couldn't have come as far as I have if who I am and what I value hadn't changed in that time.  Over time all of those little changes have added up to a new way of living.  Will those changes stick?  That's the big question for anyone.  It hasn't been a string of uninterrupted success and it has not been quick.  Real change is rarely quick.  I have had my ups and downs on this particular journey, but over the last six years my weight has trended downward.  After Karen got home from the hospital in 2014 my weight plateaued for a while (~225 lbs) and then started to climb back up (~245 lbs).  With Karen's support, and a little chiding, I was able to get back on track.

Karen has been amazing through this.  With all of her challenges she still has the strength to motivate and inspire me to be better.  She hasn't let the cancer beat her and is still trying to be a better mother, wife and person.  I know she doesn't have much time left so I try to cherish the time we do have.  I'm grateful for the help she is to me.  It's strange but the last few years, while they have been the hardest, have also been the best.  Would I live through it all again?  Probably not, because I hope and believe the next few years will be even better.  There will be more hard times but I know we can get through them if we're willing to change for the better.

Braden

P.S.  There was a talk from the October 2014 LDS General Conference titled "What Lack I Yet?".  Many of the principles I talk about here are more eloquently and fully expressed in it.  You can find it on lds.org by searching for, what lack I yet.

4 comments:

  1. Braden,thanks for sharing. You and Karen inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blog entry! Wishing you and your family big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your journey Braden! We pray for you and Karen and your family. I'm glad you can see growth and blessings from your trials. It is a great example to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you the support. I write here mostly to help me and pray that others can find comfort in it as well.

    ReplyDelete