Wednesday, January 13, 2016

New Year - 2016

Life got a little busy for us after the last post.  Christmas was great and we were able to spend a lot of time together as a family.  It always amazes me at how willing people are to help and give.  In the days running up to Christmas we had at least three different people drop off packages, cards or gifts.  It is sometimes hard to accept help when I look around and see so many other people in need.  Allowing other people to help in a time like this has been a learning experience for Karen and me.  We are very grateful for all of the kindness.

The day after Christmas was relaxed and allowed us to catch our breath a little.  New Year's Eve was fun with more family gathered for dinner.  Our tradition of watching movies until we ring in the new year was modified in favor of allowing Karen and the kids to get to bed early.  New Year's morning I made a trip to the grocery store with Karen's mom.  One of Karen's Christmas morning traditions is fresh squeezed orange juice.  Since she didn't get that on Christmas I decided to make it happen on New Year's day.

Karen on New Year's Eve

January 4th Karen had another chemo treatment.  Two days later she ended up running a fever and not feeling well.  We had been planning to go to a company party together on Friday for our date night but I ended up going alone.  I am glad we are close enough to family that they were able to help out with the kids while I was away for the day.

Since Karen hasn't been able to get up and down stairs very well the kids bedtime routine has been adjusted.  It used to be that story time, scriptures and prayers were done in their bedroom.  Between prayers and being tucked in they would run back upstairs to give hugs and kisses to grandma and grandpa.  Now we stay upstairs until they are ready to be tucked in and then I take them down to bed.  Karen follows at her own pace and is usually able to sing a couple of songs to them while putting them to bed.  The kids have been great and adjust to the changes faster than I do.

Story time with mommy - Rebecca, Karen & James

We drove down to Huntsman Cancer Hospital today for the TIPS procedure.  As I type this Karen is having the procedure done.  Just after they took her in I asked the doctor about the ascites (fluid in the belly) and if it could be drained since Karen had wanted me to check on that for her.  He said they usually do that during these procedures.  We have been very fortunate in how many good people have attended to her needs.

On Tuesday Karen had a blood transfusion so she would be 'topped off' for the procedure.  While she was having that done she did a phone interview with a reporter from KSL.  Karen had been debating whether or not to do it at all and finally decided to go ahead.  Between when we left Logan this morning and arrived at the the hospital the story had been posted and more support had begun to flow in.  I hope those reading this realize how much good there is in the world, how decent and selfless so many people are and how caring they can be to those in need.

Braden

3 comments:

  1. Hello. Braden, I read about you on KSL and was very touched, especially to realize the connection through your sister Katrina, one of my dear friends. She and I worked together in college. I got to meet you a few times when she invited me to your home. I wish I could take away this heart-breaking challenge for your beautiful little family. Please know that I am praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I talked to Katrina and realized you were 'that' Jenny from the ticket office. Thank you for your prayers, I know they help.

      Delete
  2. Hi Karen! Now that you are in town I'd love to come see you sometime if you are up to it. Words can't express how sorry I am for all you've been through, or how amazing I think you are for facing it with such a good attitude.

    ReplyDelete