Thursday, June 25, 2015

Y90

So the insurance has approved the Y90 procedure. The one where they use an artery in my leg to insert radioactive pellets to my liver.

It takes three appointments to do the procedure. The first is to map the blood vessels that go to my liver to make sure that the pellets will go to the cancerous areas without affecting too much healthy tissue. They use die covered pellets for this and then do a CT scan a few hours later to see where the pellets ended up. It is an all day thing, but if it doesn't show the doctors what they want to see then we don't move onto steps 2 and 3. This will happen just before the 4th of July.

If all goes well then mid July we have our second appointment where they go in and inject radioactive pellets into one half of my liver. Two weeks later they will go in and do the other half.

On the off weeks from radiation I will still be receiving my chemo treatments. We also have two family reunions in July. It is going to be one crazy month, but the timing seems to be working wonderfully. There was only one day where it looked like I needed to find help and then my sister tells me that my niece can come help.

I love my family and the way we come to each others aid. We are a crazy lot and don't always agree with one another, but when someone needs help there is usually someone who can come.

This post was originally created prior to Karen's latest hospital stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment