Sunday, November 8, 2020

Why was Halloween cancelled?!

Halloween has come and gone once again.  With the pandemic things were a bit different though I did try to keep it as normal as possible.  James and Becca both wanted to dress as characters from Spiderman.  Becca got to be the Ghost-Spider while James asked to be Spiderman.  Unfortunately all of the classic Spiderman costumes were either sold out or too small for him.  There was a costume from the 'Universe 2' Spiderman a.k.a. Mile Morales.  Don't ask me what that all means because I'm a little lost with all the different versions of Spiderman out there now!

Trick-or-treating was only done at our house.  My parents and I each manned an outside door while the kids went randomly between each of the 3 doors asking for candy.  It wasn't ideal but they had fun and we made sure to give out a handful or two of candy each time they knocked.

Tick or treating.

Becca with two bags for candy!

James caught up and got his bag back.

Later James asked me why Halloween was cancelled.  I explained it wasn't cancelled and pointed out he was able to dress up, go trick-or-treating, and enjoy time with family.  COVID has really done a number on things!  I recently found out that Becca has been worried about her friends at daycare getting sick because they don't wear masks and hug each other.  How we approach explanations as adults really has an affect on the world view of our kids, sometimes in ways we don't expect.  At the very least I may need to talk with someone at school.

Carving pumpkins!

On a side note, and perhaps a bit morbid, I learned that I passed away.  At least according to the letter addressed to my 'estate' from a collection service that specializes in debt collections from the estates of deceased persons.  I wonder how long it will take to straighten things out and how this latest mix up happened...

Picture day for the kids was delayed a couple of weeks ago due to 'technical difficulties'.  It was probably a good things since I hadn't paid for a picture package.  By the time the make up day had rolled around we were good to go.


Picture day with hair all combed and shirts picked ou!

After dinner the other night I was talking to my mom:
Me:  I'm feeling pretty good tonight.  I did something for everyone in the family today.
James:  You didn't do anything for me!
Me:  I made you dinner.
James:  Dinner sucked.
A little later after talking to him about being nice:
James:  Ok, dinner was good but I didn't like it.

It's not only about teaching honesty but also teaching how and when to use it, or maybe ways to be lovingly honest and using tact.

Dinner.

Last Sunday the kids asked to drive to the 'water cave'.  At first I was a little puzzled by what they meant but after a few questions I realized they meant Ricks Springs.  Its just off the road up the canyon and they have been there a few times.  Before we had driven halfway there James and Becca were asking me, "Are we there yet?"  I told them no and they kept asking every minute or two.  A couple of minutes before the pullout they asked to turn around and go home.  I let them know it was close and kept going but it I wonder if there have been times when have turned around just before I got to something I wanted because I didn't realize how close I was...

Climbing some rocks at the 'water cave'

Melting pumpkins


Braden

No comments:

Post a Comment